Monday, June 16, 2014

Going Too Far


"Only those who risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot

I'm making the trip to Sheridan, Wyoming later this week to pace a friend in her first 100 mile attempt, and the above T.S. Elliot quote comes to mind. Whether you are running your first 100 or your tenth I feel like every time you toe the start line you are testing your limits.But you don't have to run 100 mile races or even run at all to test your limits. Every time you take a chance with something and do something unfamiliar you are finding out what you are made of and what you can take, and to me that is what makes life interesting and worth waking up for every day.

Four short months ago I never imagined I would be where  I am today. I'm finally settled in and am calling Golden, CO home after my second move in the last few months. I am thoroughly enjoying everything the small town has to offer, from the phenomenal trail access to the Bluegrass fest I attended this past weekend. I am making memories that I will fondly look back on and friendships that I will cherish for years to come, all this is possible because I risked going to far and I couldn't be happier that I did.

After a bad ankle roll a few weeks ago that I was most certain had ended my season (I may or may not have had a few melodramatic moments) I'm excited to pace this weekend and get things back on track with training. I'm registered for Bear 100 in September and I start working with a coach in the next couple of weeks which I hope will give me the edge I need to perform well this fall. I'm excited for things to come and new opportunities to present themselves to test my limits in life and in running.

To many people go through life not knowing what they are capable of because they are to afraid to try. Take a step back and ask yourself how you want to look back at your life when your time is up. Safe or a hell of a ride? Personally, I prefer the latter!

Live smart, but most importantly live happy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment